Monday, February 09, 2015

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Shout! Factory has launched a free streaming service which will air TV shows and movies.

...The Black Maria looks back at its successful screening of LIBELED LADY (1936) at the Silent Movie Theatre in Los Angeles in late January. I wrote about the evening here.

...I just added Criterion Blues to my blogroll -- Aaron's project is to watch and review every single Criterion Collection Blu-ray!

...I'm really looking forward to watching the new Olive Films release WOMAN THEY ALMOST LYNCHED (1953) with Joan Leslie, John Lund, Audrey Totter, and Brian Donlevy. Cliff Weimer has reviewed it for ClassicFlix.

...Air Canada on five classic cinemas to visit in Los Angeles.

...More from Los Angeles: Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway has turned on the neon!

...I was intrigued by the idea to turn London's abandoned Tube tunnels into underground bicycle and pedestrian pathways.

...Over at Immortal Ephemera Cliff has interviewed Scott Allen Nollen, author of a new book on actress Glenda Farrell. I reviewed Nollen's joint biography of John Wayne, John Ford, and Ward Bond, THREE BAD MEN, in 2013.

...Oscar-nominated actress Felicity Jones has been cast in an upcoming STAR WARS spinoff.

...Cute Pet Alert: A NASA astronaut posed with his dogs for his official portrait...and Wired asks "Why Do Cats Love Boxes So Much?"

...Leonard Maltin has posted some fun "wintry pinups" with classic era film stars.

...Kristen of Journeys in Classic Film and KC of A Classic Movie Blog have both reviewed a book I'm extremely interested in, Tom Santopietro's THE SOUND OF MUSIC STORY. It's one of several new books celebrating the movie's Golden Anniversary; I list the other books in this post.

...If it's winter, it must be cookbook season! Among appealing recent or upcoming titles: SHEET PAN SUPPERS by Molly Gilbert, A BIRD IN THE HAND by Diana Henry, and MR. AND MRS. SUNDAY'S SUPPERS by Lorraine Wallace.

...UCLA just unveiled its schedule for the March Festival of Preservation. I'll be sharing more details here closer to the festival's opening night on March 5th.

...Notable Passings: Singer Anita Darian has died at 87. I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've listened to the 1962 SHOW BOAT recording in which she sang the role of Julie...Swordsman Richard Bonehill, who played several roles in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980) and RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983), has died at 67.

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the hat tip Laura. I think you'll love The Sound of Music Story. So many fascinating tidbits, and I always love to hear that the production of a beloved film was happy. I'm also excited to see The Woman They Almost Lynched. It sounds like a crazy movie. Especially Audrey Totter! If you're on NetGalley, it looks like you can still download the Sound of Music FAQ, another new book about the movie.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

So happy to see that Shout! Factory streaming works in Canada!!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Kendahl! I'm not on Net Galley but maybe I should be. :) I reviewed another book by the author of SOUND OF MUSIC FAQ so I hope it's good.

That's great, Kristina!!!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:15 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Oh yes, you would love NetGalley Laura. It's an easy way to check out some interesting books. Kind of addictive though.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've really got to check it out, KC! :)

Laura

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older