Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Sound of Music (1965) to Open 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival

Turner Classic Movies made a major announcement today: The 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival will open with a 50th Anniversary screening of THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965).

Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer will both be in attendance for the March 26th gala screening, almost 50 years to the day since the film premiered on March 29, 1965.

The Opening Night screening is only open to attendees with Spotlight and Essential Passes, so I do not expect to be in the Chinese Theatre for the showing, but I couldn't be more thrilled by the selection -- and I am hopeful of seeing the cast members beforehand! Although it was not announced, I would expect that at least some of the Von Trapp "children" will be in attendance.

The movie will also be shown nationwide on April 19 and 22, 2015. Over 500 theaters will show the film.

I was very fortunate to see a gorgeous 70mm screening of the film at the Egyptian Theatre in 2012, which was such a treat! As I wrote then, "If you've not seen this film on a giant screen, in some sense you've never seen it."

The press release also included information about the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray set, a five-disc extravaganza with over 13 hours of bonus content, including a new documentary with Julie Andrews.

I have written in the past about how special this film is to me, and I'll admit to already owning my favorite film in several (ahem) different versions, but this is a movie I will happily re-purchase to enjoy all the new material.

Several books will also be released this year, including a 50th Anniversary Edition of Lawrence Mason's 2007 book THE SOUND OF MUSIC COMPANION; THE SOUND OF MUSIC FAQ by Barry Monush, author of a good book on WEST SIDE STORY which I reviewed in 2010; THE SOUND OF MUSIC STORY by Tom Santopietro, author of the excellent CONSIDERING DORIS DAY; and THE SOUND OF MUSIC by Cary Flinn in the BFI Film Classics series.

The TCM Classic Film Festival is just two months away -- watch this space for more news as it's announced!

3 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

While I think SoM definitely belongs in the opening night spot, I so wish that I could be in the audience! I just read a book about the making of the film and now I'm dying to see it. Fortunately, it looks like it will be coming back to theaters for a two-day engagement in April. I'll get my fix; I just need to be patient.

7:48 PM  
Blogger KC said...

By the way, we must make a date to hang over the gate and watch the red carpet!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would sure love to be able to be there too. :) I saw it in theaters many times growing up -- when it was brought out in the '70s my grandparents were very nice taking me several times! -- and was lucky to see it in 70mm at the Egyptian. Always glad to see it again!!

Checking out the red carpet scene sounds like fun. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older