Sunday, February 03, 2013

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...The biggest movie news of the week: According to CriterionCast, the Warner Archive is now Beta testing a new streaming service, Warner Archive Instant. Big, big news...though I can't help wondering how titles being available for streaming could affect their DVD sales?

...More big movie news: My friend Ivan of Thrilling Days of Yesteryear announced his new position as Associate Editor with ClassicFlix this week. ClassicFlix will be updating its website in the near future, and Ivan will be Associate Editor for the new site, as well as representing ClassicFlix on social media sites. I'm pleased to also say that I'll periodically be contributing articles and reviews to the new ClassicFlix site, along with a number of other classic film bloggers; for instance, Brandie of True Classics has announced she'll be sharing some regular pieces on classic animation there. I'll be sure to let my readers know anytime I have a post up at ClassicFlix so you can head on over and check it out, if you're so inclined!

...Susan King reviews film historian Jeanine Basinger's brand-new book on marriage in the movies, I DO AND I DON'T. I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of this book myself and hope to have a review up in the next few days.

...More streaming news: Later this year Amazon will become the exclusive streaming home of DOWNTON ABBEY.

...There's more great chat about NIGHT PASSAGE (1957), which I reviewed in January, thanks to Toby's excellent new post at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...Julia Stiles will play screenwriter Frances Marion in a new film on Mary Pickford, THE FIRST. Lily Rabe has been cast as Pickford.

...I'm crazy about James Garner and love THE ROCKFORD FILES, so you can bet I loved the latest post at Dear Old Hollywood taking a "then and now" look at some ROCKFORD FILES locations.

...Rick muses on the 5 Best Rock Hudson Performances at Classic Film and TV Cafe. GIANT (1956) and PILLOW TALK (1959) are definitely on my list...I'd need to include ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955) or WRITTEN ON THE WIND (1956) on my own Hudson list.

...Last week a Twitter chat sent me to Google for info on Ann Blyth's wedding, and I found remarkable color and black and white newsreel footage of the event. Blyth's dress, incidentally, was created by MGM's Helen Rose, who also designed the gown for Grace Kelly's royal wedding. The Apple Valley Inn, seen in unrelated footage prior to the color film of Blyth's wedding, is the same inn which was seen in HIGHWAY DRAGNET (1954) and FOXFIRE (1955).

...Lou Lumenick's latest column is on the new TCM Vault Collection set Carole Lombard in the Thirties.

...With Mark Harmon on board, looks like NCIS will be back for an 11th season.

...From NPR a few weeks ago: "Don't Fear That Expired Food."

...Melissa Gilbert of LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, who was formerly married to Bruce Boxleitner, has announced her engagement to actor-director Timothy Busfield. Busfield is best known for his work on THIRTYSOMETHING and THE WEST WING.

...Over at Riding the High Country, Colin writes about TOMAHAWK (1951), a Universal Western I really enjoyed starring Van Heflin and Yvonne DeCarlo.

...Royalty Watch: Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, who just turned 75, announced her intention to abdicate on April 30th, at which time the Prince of Orange, Willem-Alexander, will become King. Willem-Alexander and his wife, Maxima, have three daughters; the eldest, Catharina-Amalia, will become Princess of Orange when her father ascends the throne.

...Notable Passings: Barney, the beloved dog of President George W. Bush, has passed on at the age of 12. President Bush issued a sweet statement about his "pal"...Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of the Andrews Sisters, passed away on January 30th, at the age of 94. I'll forever be appreciative of their upbeat music; in particular, their Christmas recordings with Bing Crosby are part of the soundtrack of my life.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger Raquel S. said...

I'm really disappointed to hear that Amazon will be exclusively streaming Downton Abbey. I liked that show being available on Netflix!

Congrats on your Classicflix gig! That's really exciting.

4:55 PM  
Blogger KC said...

That's great news about Warner Archives streaming and super cool about ClassicFlix!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Congratulations to both you and Ivan over ClassicFlix - great news!

I do hope once the Warner Archives streaming service is properly up and running they make it available outside the US - in the UK we can buy their DVDs on import, at least, via Amazon, but at the moment there is no way at all to access the streamed films. Fingers crossed!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Brandie said...

Thanks for the mention--looking forward to your reviews on ClassicFlix soon!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older