Saturday, July 07, 2012

Back From the Sierras!

I'm back from a relaxing vacation in the Eastern High Sierras!

I'm always sad to leave Bridgeport, my favorite little town, but it's also nice to be back home.

A few vacation shots:


We camp on Robinson Creek (above), which is near Lower Twin Lake (below):


My younger daughter took these scenic shots:





I have previously mentioned that new owners of the town's legendary bakery had closed it before the summer of 2009. What a thrill to arrive in town and learn that the bakery had just reopened for the first time since 2008, operated by the same family that previously ran it for decades:


While buying breakfast one morning, I heard that the young girl running the register was the fifth generation in the family to work in the bakery.

We spent our wedding anniversary attending a rodeo, with the nearby meadows and towering Sierras providing a gorgeous backdrop:


The town was packed for the sesquicentennial of Bridgeport's annual Independence Day festivities, which included a parade:



and 30-minute fireworks show over the Airport:



The poor folks expecting the fireworks show in San Diego should have been in Bridgeport, the show was absolutely spectacular!

I'll be back later this weekend with additional posts, including a preview of Turner Classic Movies in September and the weekend link roundup!

Related posts: Out of the Past (1947) in Bridgeport, California; Independence Day in Bridgeport, California (2010).

6 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Welcome back. Terrific photos.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks very much, Jacqueline! So glad you enjoyed. Good to be back in the routine although I am missing the mountains!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:43 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a great time! The rest of my family went up to Bishop for the holiday (coming home today), so you passed right by each other! I love the pictures. Sigh. Makes me miss my cabin in the Sierra soooooo badly.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Deb!

That's fun! We tried the new BBQ place in Bishop, Holy Smoke BBQ, on the way back down the 395. As you may know already, it's on Main Street right across from Schat's Bakkery, next to Carl's. Thought it was good -- the BBQ was a little smokier than I prefer, but it was very tender, with excellent cornbread. The owners came to Bishop from Texas via Orange County.

Where was your cabin?! I would love to have a summer cabin in the Bridgeport area and stay up there all summer. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:55 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Lovely pictures. Glad you had a good time. :-) Missy

11:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Missy! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older