Sunday, February 12, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Caftan Woman has a terrific post focusing on "Desperate Housewives of Film Noir." She reviews WITHOUT HONOR (1949), CAUSE FOR ALARM! (1951), and CRIME OF PASSION (1957). I'm going to get WITHOUT HONOR ASAP -- what a cast, with Laraine Day, Franchot Tone, Dane Clark, Bruce Bennett, and Agnes Moorehead. I recommend CAUSE FOR ALARM! which I saw a few years ago and enjoyed.

...Kim reviews THE MAN IN GREY (1943) at Classic Film & TV Cafe. It's quite a melodrama, with villains James Mason and Margaret Lockwood tormenting Phyllis Calvert and Stewart Granger.

...Java's Journey tipped me off to a book that came out a few years ago on dancer-choreographer-director Gower Champion. How did I previously miss out on BEFORE THE PARADE PASSES BY: GOWER CHAMPION AND THE GLORIOUS AMERICAN MUSICAL? I'll definitely be picking it up before too long.

...DreamWorks is planning a remake of Hitchcock's REBECCA (1940). There was actually an excellent TV adaptation of REBECCA back in 1979, starring Jeremy Brett, Joanna David, and Anna Massey, daughter of Raymond, who was perfectly cast as Mrs. Danvers. The TV version was able to be more faithful to the book than the censors of 1940 would allow; I've been wishing it would come out on DVD for years. But another version? Don't see the need.

...There's another interesting blogathon ahead! Jill at Sittin' on a Backyard Fence has organized March in March, in honor of the great Fredric March. There's info for bloggers who would like to offer contributions here.

...The Daily Mail has interesting photos of the interior of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret's childhood playhouse, which has recently been restored and redecorated by Princess Beatrice.

...Historic Clifton's Cafeteria in Downtown Los Angeles is being remodeled. The building's original exterior has been revealed for the first time in half a century.

...The new film in the works on Princess Grace of Monaco caused me to remember the 1983 TV-movie GRACE KELLY, starring Cheryl Ladd. It's just come out on DVD from Sony Classics, available via the Warner Archive. Lloyd Bridges played Grace's father, with Ian McShane as Prince Rainier. It might be fun to take another look at it.

...Continuing in a royal vein, Naomi Watts will play Princess Diana in CAUGHT IN FLIGHT.

...Redbox will not agree to embargo Warner Bros. titles for 56 days and instead will acquire WB titles "through alternative means."

...The Hollywood Reporter explains why there are only two Best Song nominees this year...unfortunately there's no logical explanation as to why "Life's a Happy Song" was excluded and "Man or Muppet" made the cut.

...Here's even more movie reviews! John Greco writes about THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (1964) at Twenty Four Frames...At Sidewalk Crossings, Deb reviews Stewart Granger in SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS (1948) and Charlton Heston in TREASURE ISLAND (1990)...Glenn Erickson reviews Edward G. Robinson and Paulette Goddard in VICE SQUAD (1953) at DVD Savant...and Kim Morgan raves about Robert Montgomery in RAGE IN HEAVEN (1941) at Sunset Gun, and she also reviews several other classic films she enjoyed for the first time in 2011.

...Currently available on YouTube: Joan Fontaine in the 1947 Universal film IVY.

Have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Thanks so much for the acknowledgement. I blush with pride.

Also, thanks for giving me so many interesting tips on things to read that I'll never get the dishes done.

11:25 AM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, having read Caftan Woman's triple-play of desperate housewives earlier today, I recommend it enthusiastically. I'm looking forward to Kim's review of THE MAN IN GREY, too! Keep those terrific movie news and reviews coming!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My pleasure, Caftan Woman! I share your love for "B" noir and lesser-known movies, and you gave me a couple of great tips. WITHOUT HONOR is on the way, and I've got to see CRIME OF PASSION, too. I got to remembering Robby did a post on the locations in CRIME OF PASSION at Dear Old Hollywood.

Dorian, thank you so much for the kind words and for joining me in recommending readers go check out Caftan Woman's post! THE MAN IN GREY is such a kick -- completely unlike anything made in the U.S. in the early '40s.

Best wishes,
Laura

4:29 PM  
Blogger kittenbiscuits said...

Caftan Woman's post is fantastic.

As always, thanks for the mention about my blogathon. I'm really excited about it!

9:11 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - I'm looking forward to reading the entries in the Fredric March Blogathon, especially yours. Have you seen SO ENDS OUR NIGHT? It's about WWII refugees but was made before the U.S. entered the war. It's a little gem of a film that showcases March's quiet artistry. Our favorite, Frances Dee, has only two scenes but the interplay between Dee and March is stunning. I'm not alone in thinking their scene in the marketplace is a great moment in cinema. SO ENDS OUR NIGHT is available on YouTube and Netflix (or I'll happily loan you my DVD). Best, Jane

8:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jill, I look forward to your blogathon too!

Jane, thank you so much for telling me about SO ENDS OUR NIGHT, as well as your very kind offer! I just went to Netflix and added it to my queue -- have never seen it! Sounds marvelous.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older